In this episode of Mormon Stories/Transitions, John and Margi interview the brilliant Dr. Julie DeAzevedo Hanks about her article titled “30 Questions Nobody Asks My Husband at Church.”
John, Margi, and Julie focus on the powerful cultural messages about gender, potential, life decisions, and worth that are broadcast in the questions we ask. During the interview, cultural assumptions are challenged in some of the questions from Julie’s article:
- Did you know that you are a son of your Heavenly Mother?
- What does your wife do for a living?
- Who’s watching your kids?
- Why are you getting a graduate degree?
- Will you go home and change? Your clothes are distracting the sisters.
…and many more.